Open since 1981, Mile End Office Furniture is Adelaide’s largest premier office furniture retailer, respected as the industry leader in offering the best office furniture at the most affordable price.
As a wholly South Australian owned and operated company, Mile End Office Furniture’s commitment is to South Australia and it’s future through the continuing support of local manufacture and employment, with customized furniture sourced through our local supply chain.
Mile End Office Furniture has evolved rapidly over the years, born from strength in quality second-hand furniture to stunning contemporary corporate custom fit-outs and durable, desirable education furniture. This continuing growth is fuelled by our philosophy of exceptional customer service and the highest quality product that is value for money.
Mile End Office Furniture is the largest office furniture retailer in South Australia, presenting the largest, centrally located showroom and range of office and education furniture in the state and installation service.
Mile End Office Furniture is committed to sourcing the best quality office furniture products locally and internationally and offering them at the most competitive price in South Australia.
Our complete understanding of office ergonomics and WHS requirements allows Mile End Office Furniture to work in conjunction with our clients to achieve best work practices.
Mile End Office Furniture offers the Australian corporate customer a broad range of in-stock or custom office furniture, seating and screen solutions.
Our commitment to our corporate clientele is shown in our local and imported products, with quality service of experienced consultants. Contact our offices to arrange a
An emphasis on workstation solutions and supporting products has been made to reflect the past inquiries and needs of our Corporate clients, Architects, Interior Designers and Builders.
Mile End Education was established in 1997 and has grown to become South Australia’s leader in education furniture.
With our continual commitment to research and development, Mile End Office Furniture recognised that the education sector had specific furniture requirements that were not being met.
Kindergartens, Schools and Tertiary Institutions are now able to access new designs, consistently high quality and completely customised furniture.
Our commitment to schools throughout the state is fostered by a team of experienced on-the-road sales consultants, backed by a dedicated education furniture showroom, located within our main showroom at 107 Henley Beach Rd.
by Colin Flint
The former Star Theatre is located on Henley Beach Road, Torrensville, and officially opened on Thursday, March 2, 1916. The Adelaide Mail described the theatre as double-fronted, with two nice shops and a splendid entrance. There were tip-up seats in the dearer portion, and the sixpenny section was all upholstered. Accommodation was for 1,000 persons. The opening ceremony was performed by the Chief Secretary, Mr A W Styles, and the proceeds ‘went in aid of the Sandbags for Soldiers Fund.
The owner of the theatre, Star Picture Company, was acquired by Clifford Theatres Ltd in 1917. It continued to operate under Clifford control until -October 12, 1929, when it was closed due to the depression. Films° were screened instead at the nearby (and much larger) Thebarton Town Hall. In 1937 it reopened as the Plaza Theatre, on Saturday April 24. The seating was advertised to be “the latest and most luxurious”. However, the outside of the building changed little, if at all. It is not known if any changes occurred on the inside. Re-opening features were “Charlie Chan at the Opera” and “The Flying Doctor”. In March 1947, Greater Union acquired the Clifford circuit, and the Plaza then came under its control.
The Plaza finally closed on Saturday, May 1, 1954, not having gone to CinemaScope. The large capacity Thebarton Town Hall, almost opposite, continued to provide film screenings. The Plaza, since closure, has been used for a variety of purposes, including auction rooms and retail shops. A mezzanine floor has been built across the former stalls area to give two levels of show rooms. Greater Union disposed of the property in August, 1959. With the proposed widening of Henley Beach Road in 1993, the theatre’s facade is expected to be demolished.